Saturday, April 17, 2010

Back of the Napkin

When I was browsing for something, I saw an entry for the best presentation for a year in slideshare. Just out of curiosity, I followed it. I was lucky to land on one of the most entertaining presentations I'd ever seen.

The author was Dan Roam and the presentation was about US health care scene.

I had never seen such a lucid presentation before on that subject. It was refreshing and very amusing to see so many simple pictures. This led to more research on the author. It's exhilerating stuff. I would urge everyone to go through his website www.thebackofthenapkin.com.

His contention is that we can solve any problem by using simple pictures. His talk at google is mesmerising. You tend to believe that you can also do it. I think that's his point.

Everything he says is based on visual thinking. We've heard the cliche many times over: "a picture is worth 1000 words". It's true to a large extent. The bosses want to see charts and diagrams rather than a densely populated excel sheet. Comics rule the roost; it captures the imagination of young and old alike.

By the way, have you seen the comic Google created when they were planning their Chrome browser? It's available in the net and it's nice stuff.

Try Dan's method for yourself when you face a problem next time. I'm sure to do it.

0 comments: